I finished Libby's Horsey Quilt over a month ago (only 8 months after I started it - oy!) and forgot to blog about it. It was a special request for her bed and she had very specific requirements - it had to be a wonky log cabin quilt to match her first one and it must have pink and green as the primary colors, high-loft batting, and a "really soft" back.
Here's her first quilt. And you can see more photos here. She uses it as the bedspread for her trundle bed and her new quilt will be the bedspread for her regular bed.
So, the quilt started off as just horsey blocks using a wonky log cabin pattern that I made myself. (Cell phone and very blurry photos - sorry!)
And I finally finished it last month! Her pink and green requirements were easy to meet but the high-loft batting gave me fits!!! There was no way to machine quilt it so I hand-tied it just like my grandmother used to do with her quilts. And Libby loved it. That's all that matters. :)
I'm not sure why it wrinkled so badly but it sure is soft and the wrinkles are falling out. I added a white border and a pink border to make it wide enough to fall over the sides of her bed. And, as you can see, the binding is about an 1.5" wide instead of the usual half-inch - I need to make sure I really had the high-loft batting secure around the edges.
Each block has a different horse in the center.
The back is very soft flannel - a solid green with a bit of pink gingham. Very soft and very feminine.
And here it is with the first quilt - a nice matching set. :)
I'm so glad to be done with this one and hope to start on another one for myself after the holidays. Right now, my sewing time is spent making secret things. ;)